I think most smokers know the risks they run of contracting many
very nasty often fatal, incurable diseases.
Here are a few to think about for a few moments.
Coronary Artery Disease
Limb amputation due to impaired respiration and circulation.
ITS YOUR CHOICE: Stop Poisoning Yourself!
Don't Drag & Drop.
Its time to Quit Smoking.
Although when you think about it, all those 4,500 chemicals that are found in tobacco smoke are unlikely to make you feel well, here's why.
- Nicotine: A highly toxic nerve poison. It constricts the arteries and at the same time increases adrenaline production. It raises the blood pressure, in order to overcome the extra constriction
in the narrowed arteries, and stimulates the entire nervous system. It is a powerful stimulant and does not relax you. In some areas of the world it is used by veterinarians to destroy sick animals
and is highly efficient at this task. If the arteries are already narrowed as a result of ageing or build-up of cholesterol, then the extra constriction can be very serious and may result in
amputation or even death.
- Hydrogen Sulphide: A poisonous chemical with a characteristic smell of bad eggs.
- Methanol: A fatal poison. Small internal doses, prolonged exposure of the skin to the liquid, or cobtinued inhalation of the vapour may cause blindness.
- Acetone: A form of paint-stripper better known as nail varnish remover.
- Ammonia: Ammonia solutions are used to clean, bleach and deodorise, to etch aluminium, to soponify (convert to soap) oil and fats and in chemical manufacture. Ammonia and ammonia vapours are
irritating, prolonged exposure and inhalation cause serious injury and may be fatal.
- DDT: Once considered a wonder pesticide, now banned from commercial use because of its lethal side-effects.
- Benzene: An aromatic chemical, proven to be a major carcinogen.
- Hydrogen Cyanide: Used in American in the "Gas Chamber".
- Carbon Monoxide: Present in car exhaust gasses. Causes death if inhaled for a relatively short time, because it prevents oxygen from entering the bloodstream.
- Pyradine: A solvent and waterproofing agent.
- Arsenic: Can cause cancer as well as damaging the heart and its blood vessels. It can worsen the effect of some other chemicals by interfering with our ability to repair our DNA.
- Formaldehyde: This better known as embalming fluid.